Monday, February 25, 2013

Experience with an Infrared Heating Pad


Experience with an Infrared Heating Pad 

I have mentioned so many times previously – I write what I know. With a son with cerebral palsy, I have learned a lot of “outside the box” types of solutions.
Last year we discovered an infrared heating pad. It is an innovative heat heating padtherapy device, which does not over-heat like traditional heating pads. My son is non-verbal and has spastic (very tight) muscles. Pain management is just a part of life for us.  One of the reason why we could not use traditional heating pads was because of the fear of burning him -even on low - a traditional heating pad just sometimes had hot spots. Especially at night, I could not just leave a traditional heating pad on him. Clearly when any temperature on the pad exceeds 130 degrees, it will create significant bodily discomfort or injury.
In using the infrared heating pad as a heat therapy system, we found the infrared heating pad sends rays of light into the body. This seems to penetrate deeply into muscles to help relieve acute and chronic pain. The benefits we found were the heat from the infrared heating pad was gentler and a more natural heat. Using the heating pad for longer periods has found to be both harmless and effective.
As my son gets older, his body is stressed because of the strain on his muscles and often has symptoms associated with arthritis, fibromyalgia and tendonitis. The infrared heating pad seems safe and effective in allowing thermal energy to be absorbed into the body, gently increasing blood flow to naturally relieve pain. It has been the ultimate non-invasive pain reliever for our son.
My son is 10 years old, and his muscles are tight all over. So, we bought the medium size infrared heating pad (21” x 30”) but there is a small and large size as well.
I also have used this heating pad before introducing it to my son to compare it to the average traditional heating pad. It seems the heat clearly penetrates into the skin – they say as much as 3 inches into the skin. Personally, I really can’t measure this, but I can say it much more comfortable and does not “sweat me out” like an ordinary heating pad does.
I have also learned some of the following:
1) Unlike ordinary heating pads, the infrared heating pad does not radiate harmful electric magnetic fields
2) Automatic comfort control gives you adjustable heat settings for the exact comfort level you need, and I have never been overheated. I don’t ever get any hot spots that might burn me.
3) The pad molds to every contour of your body so you can treat just about any area.
My husband has used the heating pad for muscle cramps and back pain. His arthritis pain has been replaced with increased mobility. The infrared heating pad has just been a great thing to have around for our entire family – but mostly for our son!
Until my next post – hope this helps you in your life’s challenges!

No comments:

Post a Comment